laroshell obstbrande

At the beginning of last month I bought quite a few Halloren products. When I visited their website to learn a little more about them, I found that they also make Bohme and Laroshell. I discovered Laroshell's alcohol-filled chocolates at the beginning of 2003 and I thought they were quite nice. It didn't take me long before I went through all Laroshell products that were available here. And then I moved on, there were other things to try. But recently I saw something that wasn't available here before - though it was listed (unfortunately, without a picture, so I didn't make the connection at first) on halloren.de among the Laroshell products. It was the Laroshell Obstbrande assortment box.

The box contains fruit brandy filled chocolates with sugar crust and hazelnuts. There are 32 chocolates in the 400g box. They are made with four types of fruit brandy fillings and there are three types of chocolate used: dark chocolate, milk chocolate and higher cocoa content milk chocolate. They don't say what type of chocolate they use for each filling... so the associations I've made come strictly from the way I've felt them... and I couldn't feel much (I'll explain that a little later). It was obvious that the Williams Pear Brandy was in regular milk chocolate and I'm pretty sure that the Black Forest Cherry Brandy was in dark chocolate. I think that the Black Forest Plum Brandy was in higher cocoa content milk chocolate, but I'm highly unsure about the Raspberry Brandy. Was this higher cocoa content milk chocolate as well?

Well, from the very beginning I was unsure about buying them. While I usually love chocolate and brandy combinations, I am not a fan of alcoholic liquid fillings in sugar crust. I prefer the "no sugar crust" approach - think Abtey products or Anthon Berg Chocolate Liqueurs. And I'm not a fan of hazelnuts either. Trumpf's similar offerings (Trumpf Obstbrande and Trumpf Obstlikore) were certainly not among my favourite chocolate and alcohol combinations. Still, it was something combining chocolate and brandy and the box looked lovely...

... so I chose to try them. I sniffed them. The hazelnut smell was the strongest one before cutting into them. I made an awful sticky mess each time I cut one into two. Oh, well... all in the name of science, right? The sugar crust was thick. The fillings were strong, very strong. At first I couldn't feel any other taste, I could only feel my mouth was burning. The first sugar crust managed to cut my lower lip and then the brandy filling got over that cut and that was more than unpleasant. The liquid fillings also had a lot of sugar in them. They made my fingers and my lips sticky. Once the liquid filling was gone, I thought the outer layer of chocolate and hazelnuts was actually nice. But, overall, I can only say... lesson learned, this is not my kind of product.

Ingredients: sugar, hazelnuts 18%, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, whole milk powder, raspberry brandy 2.8%, Williams-pear brandy 2.8%, plum brandy 2.8%, cherry brandy 2.8%, emulsifier: soya lecithin, flavouring: vanillin, thickener: gum arabic; dark chocolate contains: cocoa solids 52% minimum; milk chocolate contains: cocoa solids 39% minimum, milk solids 18% minimum; higher cocoa content milk chocolate contains: cocoa solids 51% minimum, milk solids 19% minimum; contains nuts, milk and soya; manufactured in a company which processes cereal products; contains alcohol and is therefore not suited for children.

Storage: keep cool and dry!

Nutritional info per 100g of product: 505kcal, protein 6.2g, fat 26.9g (saturated 9.4g), carbohydrate 50.8g (sugar 48.4g), fibre 4.7g, sodium 0.02g.

Price: 31.99 lei (400g box); that's the equivalent of €7.46/ ₤6.38/ $10.25.

Formular comentarii

formular

cauta

scriu despre

with chocolate (38) chocolate (30) milk chocolate (27) dark chocolate (22) cocoa (13) ice-cream (13) Romania (12) Germany (11) cherry (11) alcohol (10) fruit (10) orange (10) caramel (9) hazelnut (9) vanilla (8) white chocolate (8) France (7) cake (7) muffin (7) chocolate chip (6) chocolate coating (6) cream (6) rum (6) spirit (6) Belgium (5) Halloren (5) Italy (5) coffee (5) filled chocolate (5) liqueur (5) wafer (5) Kaufland (4) Poland (4) almond (4) apple (4) marzipan (4) strawberry (4)